Monday, February 18, 2008

Yamaha TX16W Sampler, 1988

This sampler wins the prize as the most ornery piece of gear I've ever owned.

More frustrating was the fact that when it worked, the TX16W was powerful and sounded very good, even though it was a 12bit machine. The operating system was convoluted and just drove you totally nuts. I understand there is an alternate operating system, Typhoon, that is much better.

But I worked hard, and my patience payed off, sometimes. Once I got the hang of it, the "automated" multi-sampling worked pretty well. I recorded my piano, sampling every half octave and got a pretty good piano patch going after a few tries. I also sampled my drum set lots of ways, to much satisfaction. The picked bass patch that came on the factory floppy was great. If you planned out what sounds you needed in your composition, you could map different samples across the keyboard, and do the same on different midi channels, finally getting a lot of sound out of the tiny memory the TX16W had (it came with 1.5 megs and maxed out at 6 megs). And oh, it had, count 'em, TEN individual outs.

Thank goodness I spent thousands of hours learning how to use the TX16W, because when I found a buyer for it, I sold him by breezing through the menus and making it look easy.

It wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment