Monday, February 11, 2008

Casio VL-1 (VL-tone)

Part calculator, part musical instrument, the Casio-VL-1 positively begged I bring it home from it's perch in a Canal Street storefront. For what was basically a techno novelty item it did a lot (and sold a lot, I think in the range of 1,000,000 units). Plugged through a decent system the synth tones had some substance. It even had a programmable tone you changed by punching in numbers. I never figured that out. The outstanding feature was a digital sequencer that could play back a string of 100 notes. It's ticka-blinka drum machine sounds are still sampled these days.

It was the early 80s, when I played with this for a while, but I soon stepped up to other keyboards. Who knows what happened to it. I probably sat on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment