Sunday, May 20, 2012

Garbage Banjo

Once again my instrument finding Karma has surfaced. I spotted this banjo at the curb on bulky-waste trash day in my New Jersey hamlet. I don't know what it is with this town, but they sure throw a lot of musical gear away. I've previously found a vintage Ampeg tube amp, a replica of a Gibson Dove acoustic guitar, and many, many drum set parts equaling more than a full set.

Banjo has always been cool to me, way beyond bluegrass, which I do enjoy. Check out Bela Fleck, who takes it to another level. Of course there's the Steve Martin thing that's brought the instrument into the spotlight now, his banjoism gone "serious" with his collaborative album that pulled in tons of high profile musicians.

I hear the instrument as koto-like Asian, as African, of course, and in it's chime-like twang there is also a celtic flavor. It's got a  raw worldliness that, with this particular banjo, extends the instrument's history to the midwestern U.S.A.

I wonder what adventures this instrument has known. Unknown U. of Wisconsin student who at one time cared enough to proudly and carefully letter their school's name this instrument's case: I don't know why you threw this out. I don't even know if you're alive. Perhaps you peered from the window as I plucked this treasure from the curb? Perhaps you knew someone would grab this?

In any case, thanks. To me, this is treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment