Monday, January 25, 2010

Roland PW-10 V-Wah

My Pod Line 6 gave way to the Roland PW-10 Wah pedal. This thing models distortion AND Wah. I really like Roland's modeling, actually. I'm not the only one: BOSS pedals are crazy popular (Boss/Roland: same company) despite the fact that you pay a lot for something that basically does one thing, albeit does it really well and from inside of a super roadworthy metal casing.

The PW-10 did a few things - it had 8 of those Roland effects in there and modeled wahs. It was a big, rock solid metal box of a thing too, which lead foot here appreciated.

Despite it's armored exterior, it's a nuance thing. Totally noiseless due to the fact that it uses some sort of optical system, and great models, I thought, of all the classic wahs.

All in all it was much simpler and more direct than the Pod Line 6. I'm a simple man, and I like gear that's simple to use. Not that the Pod wasn't, it just had more flavors than I needed. You can still get these for $125, new. That is a deal considering the individual boss distortion effects this contains, if added up would cost much, much more. While it does "less" than the plastic pedals from Zoom, for example, it does it's thing better than they do, and is built so much way better. Oh yea add the wah. Deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment